In 2019, for the twelfth time, Meridian International Primary School organized the MERIDIAN ENGLISH SONG CONTEST (MESC).
The competition is an open educational review of the songs in English, performed by soloists and groups consisting of 1-8 grade students from Mazovian primary schools.
Aims of the contest
- To encourage students to active participation in amateur music performance,
- To promote talented students and to motivate them to systematically improve their skills,
- To enable public presentation of vocal skills, to award the most interesting performances and to promote the winners.
Each of the participants independently chooses a repertoire, any song with text in English. The same song is presented in the qualifying and final. Among selected songs were songs performed by The Beatles, Bruno Mars, Rihanna, Amy Winehouse, Celine Dion, Alicia Keys, Whitney Houston, Disney films and many others.
Each school could send a maximum of 3 candidates for each category.
For the elimination that took place in February. Over 20 schools and over 100 students have applied! Some of them took part in this competition once again.
12 artists qualified for the final, 3 in each category.
The final concert took place at the Okęcka Sala Widowiskowa in March.
Parents, classmates and invited guests sat in the audience. Each performance was warmly applauded. For many performers it was the first public performance for such a large audience.
During the waiting time for the verdict of the jury, everybody could enjoy the performance of the Vocal Group from the Primary School No. 88 in Warsaw.
Jury of the 12th edition of Meridian English Song Contest, evaluating intonation, diction, song selection, rhythm and interpretation, artistic and aesthetic impressions, awarded prizes in each of the age categories.
- In the grades 1-2 category, Marta from the Polish-French Primary School “La Fontaine” has won;
- In the grades 3-4 category – Łucja from Primary School No. 88;
- In the 5-6 grades category – Marcelina from the Primary School No. 260 named after Jan Matejko in Warsaw;
- A in the 7-8 classes category – Julia representing the Primary School No. 258 named after general Jakub Jasiński in Warsaw
The winners received prizes from the organizer – International Meridian Schools and from the patron – the Mayor of the District of Italy – Artur Wołczacki.
We thank teachers for the commitment and preparation of students and students for their willingness and participation. Without you there would be no competition! Thank you. We invite you for the next, 13th edition of the MERIDIAN ENGLISH SONG CONTEST (MESC) next year.